Feng Chen aka @leopardcrust is the absolute queen of leopard spotted pizza crusts (hence the Instagram handle) and getting creative with her toppings. If you love steak and eggs, you’ll love her twist on the combo with this bresaola, cured egg and stracciatella pizza recipe fired up in her Roccbox.
1. For the cured egg yolk;
- Pour a 50/50 mix of kosher salt and caster sugar into a small container until it comes up the side of the container by 2cm. We’ve recommended 100g/3.5 oz of each but it can be more or less depending on the size of your container.
- Create a well with your finger and gently transfer a separated egg yolk into the well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours. The longer you cure them, the more moisture will be drawn out from the yolk, so you can experiment to find the ‘doneness’ that you like.
- Before using your cured egg yolk, rinse gently under water to remove excess salt.
2. For the pizza;
- Working with one dough ball at a time, toss the dough ball in flour before opening into a pizza base. Make sure you have your stracciatella (or mozzarella and cream) nearby and ready to go, before you launch your pizza into your Roccbox or Gozney Dome.
- Bake the pizza bianca-style for around 60 seconds, rotating as required.
Add the stracciatella to your base for the last 30 seconds of the bake, OR scatter mozzarella chunks and pour cream onto the base, staying within the border of the crust.
- As the pizza comes out of the pizza oven, arrange the bresaola slices around the perimeter of the crust, place on your cured egg yolk, and finish with a generous crack of black pepper.
1 Dough ball (ideally sourdough)
1 Egg yolk
100g Kosher salt
100g Caster sugar
85g Stracciatella (OR substitute 55g/ 2oz Mozzarella & 28g/ 1oz cream)
7-8 thin slices of bresaola