Fire up the oven to 300–350°C. While the oven is coming up to temperature, get all your other ingredients and equipment ready.
1. Opening the dough
- Create a small pile of flour on the tray and place a dough ball on top.
- Gently shape the edges up to the top of the dough and pinch to seal to create a uniform bun
- Flour the top of the dough and, using your fingertips, gently start to spread the dough out from the centre to the edges. Open the dough on the back of your hands until you achieve a round of approx 25.5-26.5 cm (10-10 1/2 inches) in diameter. Try to get the dough as flat and even as possible and transfer the dough to a lightly floured pizza peel.
2. Making and baking
- Gently brush a touch of beef dripping/tallow on top of the dough, then add the pastrami and bake for a couple of minutes until the dough turns golden brown with some charred bits.
- Remove from the oven and add a generous scattering of cheese over the top of the pastrami. Lower the flame in the oven and pop back in until the cheese melts.
- Finish with sauerkraut, pickles and American mustard.
- Slice and enjoy![end]