Is there really such a thing as too much cheese?! Carlos Macias certainly doesn’t think so with this Queso Fundido recipe! A pan of gooey melted cheese with spicy sobrasada alongside homemade tortillas and a Roccbox charred tomato salsa will make this one you’ll be making again and again.
1. For the tortillas;
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl with your hands. Add the butter and mix and squeeze with your hand until it’s completely incorporated with the dry ingredients. It should look and feel similar to wet sand.
- Add the milk and water and continue to mix until a dough is formed. Place the dough on a clean surface and knead until smooth. About 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Portion into 1oz (25g) pieces and shape into balls. Pop them on a tray and leave for 5-10 minutes.
- Dust a surface with flour and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into 6 inch (15cm) diameter tortillas.
- Working one tortilla at a time, slide onto a floured Roccbox placement peel before launching into the hot oven and baking for 10-20 seconds. You’ll know they are cooked when they bubble up and inflate.
- Keep the cooked tortillas covered with a tea towel inside a tortillero or a pot with a lid.
2. For the tomato salsa;
- Place the tomatoes in a cast iron pan or tray. Cut the onions in quarters and set them in the pan with the tomatoes. Everything must be flat, with nothing on top of each other.
- With Roccbox on high, roast until a good level of charring is achieved. Remove the pan from the oven, flip over the tomatoes and onions, add the chillies and garlic and char the other side.
- Add everything to a pestle and mortar and mash into a rough salsa. Season to taste.
3. For The Queso Fundido (use an 11inch (28cm) cast iron pan):
- Add a splash of oil to the pan with the sliced onions and a pinch of salt. Toss and cook in Roccbox on low flame for around 8 minutes, tossing regularly. Set aside and wipe out the pan.
- To assemble, start with half the caramelised onion, then add the cheese mix, reserving the feta. Spoon over dollops of sobrasada all over and finish with the remaining onions and the peppers.
- Turn Roccbox back up to high flame and melt the queso fundido for about 2-3 minutes.
- Take out and finish by crumbling over the feta and serving with the warm tortillas and tomato salsa.
For The Tortillas:
400g All Purpose Flour, plus extra for dusting
50g Whole Wheat Spelt Flour
½ Tsp Baking Powder
½ Tsp Salt
60g Butter, cut into small cubes
120g Whole Milk
For The Tomato Salsa (Salsa de Molcajete):
1kg Tomatoes, (small cherries are great but plums work fine)
150g Brown Onion, diced
3 Cloves Garlic
25g Bird’s Eye Chilli
Salt to taste
For The Queso Fundido:
150g Brown Onions, sliced
100g Lancashire Cheese
75g Edam Cheese
175g Medium Cheddar
30g Feta Cheese
150g Padron Peppers