Pineapple on pizza has divided households over the years but this salty pancetta and maple pineapple combo might just please the whole family...maybe! Make sure you make plenty of the garlic sourcream as it’s amazing with the crispy edges.
1. For the dough;
- Place the water and yeast in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment and begin to mix on the lowest speed.
- Gradually add the flours while continuously mixing, scraping the dough down the side of the bowl as required. Once you have added around 2/3rds of the flour, add the salt before adding the remaining flour and mixing for around 3 minutes.
- Turn the mixer off and leave the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Mix for a final 30 seconds to bring the dough back together before transferring to a large well oiled bowl, covering with cling film/shrink wrap and leaving to ferment at room temperature for 24 hours.
- After the time has passed, pop the dough out onto a clean work surface and lift into an oiled 8x10” Detroit pan.
- Gently push and stretch the dough towards the corners of the pan (don’t be worried if it doesn’t quite reach the corners yet, you can stretch it now and again during its proofing time) cover and leave at room temperature for 2-3 hours before baking.
2. For the garlic sour cream;
- Mix ingredients together and keep refrigerated until required.
3. For the pancetta and pineapple
- Place the diced pancetta into a cold frying pan and bring up to a medium heat. Cook for around 8-10 minutes or until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and set to one side.
- Pour off some of the pancetta fat if you need to (you want about a tbsp left) and add the butter and maple syrup to the pan. Allow to bubble before adding the pineapple rings and cooking on both sides until starting to colour, basting with the maple butter as you cook. Around 6-8 minutes in total.
- Finish the pineapple with a good twist of black pepper before cooling and cutting into chunks.
4. For the pizza;
- Ensure Roccbox is preheated to around 350 Celsius/660 Fahrenheit and turn the flame down to its lowest setting.
- Take the room temperature Detroit dough and bake in the front third of the oven for 3 minutes, rotating halfway through the bake.
- Working quickly, remove the pan from the oven and top the pizza with the cheese, diced pancetta and pineapple chunks and return to the oven.
- Bake for a further 6-8 minutes rotating regularly.
- Once baked, let the pizza sit in the tray for a few minutes before removing to a chopping board. Top with the parsley and chilli flakes and serve with the garlic sour cream.
For the dough;
155g 00 Flour
155g Bread Flour
1g Fresh Yeast
For the pineapple;
3 Tinned Pineapple rings
1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
½ Tbsp Maple Syrup
180g Diced Pancetta
For the garlic sour cream;
1 Clove Garlic, grated
150g Sour Cream
For the cheese;
100g Grated Mozzarella
100g Grated Monterey Jack Cheese
Pinch of chilli flakes
Handful of chopped parsley